Friday, July 10, 2009

all heart for heartless bastards

all heart for heartless bastards


Taken: July 7, 2009
Camera: Canon EOS 40D plus Canon EF 50mm f/1.8
Exposure: 0.006 sec (1/160)
Aperture: f/1.8
Focal Length: 50 mm
ISO Speed: 640

This is Erika Wennerstrom, of the band Heartless Bastards. This is probably my most proud picture yet. Shooting this short of thing isn't easy. I typically shoot aperture priority. It gives me enough control to do what I want, but sets the rest of it for me. Well this doesn't work for concerts. The background is just too dark. The camera tries to correct the lighting too much. I basically maxed out everything I could. I opened the aperture as wide as it will go, set the ISO as high as I could without risking noise, then set the shutter speed around 1/125 to 1/200 depending on stage lighting at the time. Anything more than that created a blur.

2 comments:

  1. You could also try changing your metering to center weighted or spot if you have it. That way it won't try to lighten up the background.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point Matt. I hadn't thought of that, but it probably would have make things easier. :-) Now I know for next time!

    ReplyDelete