Monday, November 23, 2009

water with a kick

water with a kick


Above is Cunningham Falls. It's named after an FC Dallas player - Jeff Cunningham. He is the 2009 MVP for FC Dallas, and narrowly lost the MLS MVP award.

It's located in rural Searcy County between two pretty popular waterfalls - Falling Water Falls and Six Finger Falls. They are all on the same road, which provides some awesome views of Falling Water Creek.

You can see this waterfall from the road, but to take pictures of it you have to slowly make you way alongside a very steep hill that's covered in years of leaves. When I was first told about this waterfall I almost completely refused to visit it. Then I got there, and it didn't look so bad. I did manage to slide a few times though. Usually I was close enough to a fallen tree that I could grab on and stop my slide.

At one point I started sliding without having anything near me to grab onto. Now the hill isn't steep enough that I would have broken anything on the landing, but I probably would have been scraped up and completely soaking wet from the rocks and water below. I thought fast (for once in my life) and stabbed the legs of my tripod into the ground to stop my slide. It's probably the closest I'll ever been in my life to being an Indiana Jones type.

4 comments:

  1. Nice picture! Who knew that we name waterfalls after football players?! BTW, I may have laughed about stabbing the tripod in the ground! Good save!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, It's named after a soccer player. Actually Brian Cormack named it about a month ago. I promised to help spread the name, because Cunningham Falls sounds cool and it's an upgrade from "unnamed waterfall."

    Yeah the tripod thing might be my coolest moment EVA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice capture windy, yeah those leaves are slick.... good thing you had your ninja skills

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL I knew I'd fall! Brian warned me before I went. At least I got a cool ninja story out of it.

    ReplyDelete