Wednesday, November 18, 2009

the wheels on the bus go round and round

the wheels on the bus go round and round


I do a lot of random experiments with my cameras. I've grown to love film more than digital, because it's easy to stretch the boundaries. I know almost anything I do with film can be faked with photoshop. The thing is, I like the mystery and challenge. I like having to figure out how to fed film in a certain way or whatever else idea I've thought up. Will it work? Will it turn out how I planned?

Above is the latest experiment. This is redscaled film. I didn't buy redscale film. I did the homemade version. Basically you put the film in flipped over. (Instead of having flat side down. You have to have it facing up.) The part of the film that reacts to red light is usually the last layer. It's the most sensitive and needs less light. Flipping the film puts these layer first and it gets a lot more light. The effect is everything that has red in it has a stronger red color.

Most people make redscale film by feeding film into an empty canister upside down. I had no interest in doing this, mostly because I didn't want to sit in the dark and wind film in. Plus you have to tape it in the canister and stuff. It just seemed like a mess. I decided to just take an unmodify role of film and put it in a Holga 120N upside down. Since this camera is designed for 120 film there's a lot more room to allow the film to be in upside down. I used foam as spacers to keep the canister in place and help keep the film wound tight.

3 comments:

  1. That's so cool! Even cooler that you know how to do that stuff! Is this at AmTran?

    ReplyDelete
  2. holy crap thats cool that you can do that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shannon, it is the AmTran place.

    Thanks Jeremy! The Holga does let me do some interesting things. :-)

    ReplyDelete