Monday, April 5, 2010

limiting evil

limiting evil


The Parker-Hickman Homestead was built around 1847 and is believed to be one of the oldest homes along the Buffalo National River. It was actually owned and lived in by the Hickman family from 1912-1978. In 1982 it was sold to the parks service and added to the National Register of Historic Places.

About a mile past the house up a very bumpy mountain dirty road is the family cemetery - Cherry Grove Cemetery. I actually wish I had known the previous owners of the home before I went, because there were a few other surnames, but I now think they were all people that lived on this homestead. I originally assumed families from other homesteads were also buried there.

There is a tradition in the South of painting doorways and sometimes ceilings and other areas "haint blue" to keep away evil spirits or haints. Haint blue isn't a specific shade of blue, and since I've become aware of it, I've seen it in shades from pale blue up to a deep aqua. I believe the color is supposed to close to that of water because haints cannot cross water. Interestingly enough the water in the area is this exact color.

More info on haint blue.

3 comments:

  1. Very interesting! I had no idea people painted their doors haint blue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool history to go along with the photo Windy! I had no idea either... =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a fantastic photo. i love it, and the history that goes along with it.

    ReplyDelete