Saturday, June 26, 2010

scars

scars


Arkansas was part of the Civil War and being South of the Mason-Dixon we were on a side I don't particularly agree with. Arkansas isn't really saturated with Civil War history. So visiting states that had a lot more fighting it's weird to realize how recent it was.

When I was at the Colonial Park Cemetery I didn't really understand all the tombstones along the back walls. At first I just assumed they were stones that broke over the years. It didn't make much sense to me though. I mean if you take the time to collect broken stones and build holders into the brick wall for them, why not just repair and replace them where they should be? I googled it when I got a chance and found the real reason.

During the Civil War Union troops camped in the cemetery for a while. They broke stones to make room for their tents. I guess after the war either there wasn't records of where the stones should go or it was too large of a task to replace them. The stones were placed along the back wall. They remain as scars from a war with ourselves.

1 comment: